You want to create a blog for professionals? You are not the only one. There are approximately 500 million blogs. There is a huge difference between blogs that make money and blogs that fail. Your blog’s design can determine which category your blog falls into. Web hosting is the best way to start a WordPress site. You’ll receive a domain and a SSL certificate free of charge, as well as a one-click WordPress install. Next, select and install a WordPress template, customize it with your brand assets, create and publish engaging content, then launch your professional blog.
In seven simple steps, you can start a WordPress website.
You will need your own domain name (e.g. yourblog.com) if you want to create a professional blog. You will need WordPress.org to host your blog. Hosting is the best way to get started. DreamHost is a top-quality web hosting provider that offers high-quality web hosting for a very low price (under $3/mo. Plans include a free domain, a free SSL certificate and one-click WordPress installation.
This means that your web hosting plan will automatically link to WordPress and your domain. This saves any WordPress beginner a lot, since manually connecting a domain to WordPress can be difficult.
These instructions will help you install your DreamHost blog in just one click:
- Create your DreamHost account by purchasing a web hosting plan
- You can choose a domain name or import one that you already have registered.
- Click on One-click installations and then click Install it for me Now. You can check the box to upgrade to deluxe installation. This will not cost you anything, but it will give you a template as well as helpful plugins.
DreamHost installs WordPress with just one click. Source: DreamHost
2. 2. Choose a niche or category for your blog
You want search engines to know that you are a authority on the topics you write about as a blogger. Your blog posts should be focused on a single topic and not multiple. Search engines will see that you are not a specialist in all niches. However, if you do write about several categories it shows search engines that you can be a good writer but not necessarily an expert in them. Search engines exist to get users the answers they need quickly. This is why you will only see experts on search engines.
It is important to know the difference between a niche and a category. A category can be defined as lifestyle, food, or money blogging. You can be very specific within each category. If you are a lifestyle blogger, you might blog about niches such as fashion, travel, and DIY. A money blogger may write about budgeting, saving money, paying down debt and how to save money. A money blogger might even share the journey of their small-business website to earning their first million dollars.
To identify a niche market focus not only on something you are an expert in but also something that you enjoy writing about. When you are able to spend hours researching and writing about your favorite topics, your blog will feel less like work.
It’s okay to change your focus later, but it’s better to stay in the same or similar category. This is because Google has spent a lot time explaining what your blog is all about. If you try to tell it something else, it is possible that you won’t get the same amount of search engine traffic.
After you have chosen the niche or categories for your blog, make sure to be specific in naming them. This is because “Intergalactic Cupcakes”, which sound more like galaxy cupcakes, might not be what you meant. These cupcakes are so delicious that they almost taste like they came from another planet. You can also choose “Cupcakes”, as your blog category. If you have a niche site and your entire blog is focused on cupcakes then you can choose to specify cupcake types like vegan cupcakes or gluten-free cupcakes.
The Dating Divas write about everything marriage and strengthening family bonds. They also have everything from a membership site and sell “date in a box” type printables.
3. Locate and install a WordPress theme
A WordPress theme is a template which alters the appearance and function of your blog. You have the option to select from a variety of free themes or to purchase a premium theme. You can find paid themes on sites like Etsy or Theme Forest. What WordPress Template Is That is a useful tool that can help you determine the theme used by another blog. This tool is free and can tell you what plugins are used on the website.
These are some of the top places to find great WordPress themes for professional blogs.
- Theme Forest You can find almost any theme on the largest WordPress theme marketplace. Although prices vary, you can expect to pay between $13 and $99 for each theme. Once you have purchased your theme, you will be able to download the files.
- Etsy – This is right, Etsy can be a great place to find WordPress themes. The pricing starts at $10 and can go up to $50. This makes it more affordable than Theme Forest. Each theme includes instructions for how to install it in WordPress.
- WordPress: WordPress also offers a wide range of free themes. Navigate to “Themes” under “Appearance” to browse the available themes. You should remember that premium themes are more difficult to customize than free themes. This is why most WordPress beginners will consider purchasing a premium theme.
4. You can customize your WordPress theme
Now it’s time for customization. You can import demo content if you have a premium theme. Importing demo content is a good idea as it makes customizing your site much easier. Start by reviewing the pages that came with your theme to customize it.
- Add your logo to the left-hand vertical menu. Click “Customize” to upload your logo and website icon. Learn how to create a stunning logo for your business.
- Edit your site’s menu: To edit your site’s menu, click on “Appearance” in the left-hand navigation and then select “Menus”. You will be able drag and drop pages to create your menu. When you are done, click “Save Menu”.
- Create your homepage: You will probably want to keep your theme’s homepage settings. If you wish to modify your homepage settings, please go to “Appearance”, “Customize”, and “Homepage Settings.”
- Change your header or footer. Click on “Appearance” > ‘Customize” > ‘header’ or footer>.
- Review pages. WordPress themes include prebuilt pages or demo content. To see which pages are currently on your site, navigate to the left-hand navigation and click “Pages”. Click on the page you wish to modify or add to your information. Click the “Delete” button if you don’t want pages.
- Read posts: Do the same thing as pages but for posts.
You can find more information about how to create a WordPress site in our step-by–step article How to Make a WordPress Website (including a tutorial video).
5. Add Plugins for Additional Functionalities
A WordPress plugin adds functionality to your blog without the need for any coding, HTML or CSS. There are many plugins that can be used to reduce spam comments, increase search engine optimization (SEO), or provide analytics.
These are some of the most popular WordPress plugins:
- Akismet: Spam can be a nuisance for everyone. The Akismet plugin detects known spammers and the keywords they use. This will send spammy comments to the spam folder.
- Jetpack: The Jetpack plugin acts as a gatekeeper and prevents malicious login attempts. It monitors downtime and alerts you if your site stops working.
- Google Analytics by Yahoost. If you want to make money from your blog you will need to know how many people visit your site and what their demographics are. This plugin makes it simple to find that information.
- Yoast This plugin shows you what changes to make to your blog posts in order to optimize them for search engines. This will result in more quality traffic.
The Akismet plugin helps prevent spam comments. Source: IdyllicPursuit.com
6. Create Blog Content
Your first blog post can be written on almost any topic. Many people use their first blog post to give an introduction to themselves and to let people know what they can expect from your blog. Some people prefer to choose the article that inspired them to create a blog. Sometimes you may have a whole notebook of ideas.
Here are some ideas to help you decide what topic to blog about.
- Answer the No. 1 question people ask you about your topic
- How to make a niche work for you?
- Take a peek behind the scenes into your life
- Make a list of tips and tricks from experts.
- It’s easier to share which apps in your niche.
- Share your inspirations with others
- List the most common mistakes people make when trying XYZ
It doesn’t matter what title you choose for your first blog post. The important thing is to not spend too much time reading through the post and making adjustments to it. While your post should be well-written, it doesn’t need to be a lengthy document that covers every detail of the topic. These can be found in later blog posts.
While most blog posts are less than 300 words long, search engines prefer posts of at least 2,000 words. To get people to see your post after you have written it, you need to promote it.
An example of the visual WordPress editor
7. To increase traffic to your blog, promote it
To share your message with the world, people must visit your blog. There are many ways to drive traffic to your WordPress site. These sources of traffic include guest blogging and SEO. You should use a mix of all of these sources in your traffic strategy.
Use Guest Blogging
Guest blogging is when you write a post on another blog. You do this with the hope that you will get a backlink. This link is a link back to your blog. With the hope that the readers will visit their blog to read the content, guest bloggers also blog. Contact bloggers who have similar content to yours to get started.
For SEO, write
SEO is about getting your blog posts to the top of search engines’ first pages. These search engine pages are also known as search engine results pages (or SERPs). SEO strategies should include a fast blog with easy navigation and high-quality blog posts that answer a question fully. When viewed from a mobile device, your blog must be formatted correctly. You also need descriptive meta-tags that tell search engines what your blog post is about.
Use social media
Social media sharing is a great way for you to share your blog posts with your family and friends. Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook are all popular social media platforms. You will need to link to your blog in your Instagram bio if you want to share your blog posts.
Create Your Own Email List
It’s easy to lose your followers on social media sites, so it’s crucial to start building an email list. If you offer an incentive, followers are more likely than others to give their email address. You can offer checklists, cheat sheets, cheat sheets, or exclusive videos as incentives. You will need to keep in touch with them by regularly sending newsletters. The email addresses can be stored in an email provider such as Convertkit.
These web marketing strategies can help you drive more traffic to your blog.
Five Ways to Make Money with Your WordPress Blog
Once you have built your blog and are seeing blog traffic increase, it is time to think about how to monetize it. WordPress.com is the only platform that allows you to host your blog. AdWords is not available to you. If you are self-hosted, however, you can monetize WordPress.com through many options. These options include advertising, affiliate programs and sponsored content.
To make money blogging, many bloggers combine several of these strategies.
- Ads – Ads can generate revenue in a variety of ways. Some pay when a user clicks the ad while others pay if the click results in a sale. Other ad networks such as Mediavine are also available, but you will need to have at least 30,000 pageviews per month to be accepted.
- Affiliate programsBloggers receive a commission after an action occurs, usually a click, lead or sale. Affiliate programs such as ClickBank, CJ.com or Travelpayouts are available to bloggers.
- Sponsored Content:Bloggers have the ability to pitch brands directly, but many bloggers use influencer networks. These networks include Activate, The Women Bloggers, and Find Your Influence.
- Membership websites: Members receive exclusive content each month through a membership site. Membership sites can be purchased from many bloggers for between $10 and $97 per monthly.
- Live events These are live events such as retreats, workshops and conferences. Online events can sometimes be paid for. Online events have a lower overhead than in-person ones.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
How can bloggers make money?
Bloggers can earn money through many avenues, including affiliate programs, online courses and live events. Bloggers can also collaborate with brands via influencer networks to make money. Bloggers are often paid via PayPal, check or ACH.
Is it worth starting a blog in 2020?
Every day, people ask questions. Many people look for answers online via social media and Google. This trend is not likely to change. If you are able to dedicate the time and skills necessary to become a skilled blogger, starting a blog is worth it to answer questions about topics you are an expert on.
Do I have to post blog content on every social network platform?
It doesn’t encourage readers to follow you on all platforms if they get the exact same content. It is best to spread your content across multiple platforms. One day you could share a blog post to Facebook, and another on Twitter two weeks later.
Bottom line: How to start a professional blog
WordPress is a popular blog hosting site. Although starting a WordPress blog can be inexpensive and simple, you will need to maintain it and establish yourself as an authority in your field. You can rank higher in search engines by learning SEO and creating quality content. Once you have a following, your blog will be able make you money.